Hair Extension Care
It is true that short hair is easier to manage. It does not require one a significant amount of time to polish it the way a person with long hair would. You do not even need to constantly use the blow dryer just to make sure that every strand is in place. Hair polish, hair wax, or gel is all you need to fix your hair the way you want it to look like in one go. However, it is only normal for one to get bored with short hair because you are not afforded with any other styling options. (It’s just like eating the same dish every day!)
There are individuals who deal with the dilemma of slow-growing hair making them quite impatient about it. This is one reason why some resort to having hair extensions.
Hair extensions are typically layers of hair that are made of either polyester or real human hair. Its two major objectives are:
1. To simulate the genuine hair of the wearer, and;
2. To extend the length of the hair, hence the term ‘hair extensions’
Although temporary – since hair extensions tend to fall off after a significant amount of time – it gives the wearer an opportunity to have longer hair and style it according to how she wants it to look like. One could easily choose from a wide variety of hair extensions that showcase different styles, colors, lengths, and textures. It would not be impossible for someone to find something that would match their actual hair type.
Like any other necessity, it is important to maintain the quality of one’s hair extensions. Here are a couple of easy steps to help you care for them:
- Use a mild shampoo and thoroughly lather it on your head. Use the tips of your fingers to knead through your scalp. It is inevitable for hair extensions to absorb the formation of natural oils on your head, so it is important that you get rid of any impurities. Do not be afraid to wash your hair the way you would with your natural hair. Rinse thoroughly with tepid water.
- Use a conditioner to soften and moisturize the ends of your hair. Do not use the conditioner all over your head to avoid grease buildups. Hair extensions may simulate real hair, but they still respond differently to substances that you apply on them.
- Use a soft towel to dry your hair. Never use a brush to remove the tangles as long as your extensions are still wet. Remember, hair is at its weakest when it is wet. Use a wide comb to get rid of the tangles whilst gently gliding it through your hair.
- An extension brush is a good investment. As the name suggests, it is specially made for hair extensions. This is probably the most important tool that one would need for hair extension maintenance.
If you are someone who is curious about getting hair extensions, consult with a hair specialist today and learn about the processes involved.